When it comes to smoking pot there is nothing quite like rolling up a joint and letting it blaze. Having a quality rolling paper allows for the joint to be rolled tightly and burn consistently.
These days there are so many different rolling paper brands that it can be difficult to know which is best. Other factors to consider when selecting a rolling paper includes flavoring, ease of rolling, materials, and price.
Below we provide our picks for the five best rolling papers. Our goal was to include some variety in our selections so that there is a top quality rolling paper included that will meet your individual smoking needs.
The Best Rolling Papers: Our 5 Best Picks
RAW is the most well recognized name in rolling papers and for good reason. They feature the most variety and types of rolling papers out of any other rolling paper brand we’ve seen.
On top of their awesome reputation RAW makes a lot of their rolling papers out of top shelf organic hemp. Hemp is personally our favorite rolling paper material, you can read more about why below.
Beyond the hemp material, these RAW rolling papers also have a great taste and burn consistently throughout. These papers are 1.75″ x 3″ making them large enough to pack a lot of herb creating a wonderful smoking experience.
A standard pack comes with 50 leaves in a pack of four. There is also a bulk 24 pack option.
If you do not have any specific requirements for your rolling paper and just want a paper that works great, then this should be your pick.
Best Flavored Rolling Papers
With a name like Juicy Jay’s, you know that this brand is going to bring something unique to the table.
Juicy Jay’s is one of the most well regarded flavored rolling paper brands on the market.
The version for sale on Amazon includes 320 leaves for around $15, which is a great deal. We really like that you get a huge variety of flavors with this single purchase.
Flavors included in this package:
- Green Apple
- Strawberry Kiwi
- Very Cherry
- Green Trip
The variety of flavors is impressive. Most of the flavors tested were met with favorable reviews, but a couple were not great tasting in all honesty. For the price, these are great flavored rolling papers.
Best flavored rolling papers available. Great if you want to bring something to your smoking experience. If you want to avoid artificial flavors then we suggest avoiding flavored rolling papers.
Easiest to Use Rolling Papers
We can’t all be joint rolling aficionados. Some of us simply do not have great fine motor skills, and other are simply lazy and want the easiest way to roll.
Whichever category you fall into RAW has you covered. Their RAW Cones are by far the easiest papers to use for rolling joints. These rolling papers are pre-made into a cone shape so all you have to do is use a packing pick (included) to fill the paper with herb.
I for one am pretty clumsy, so this is a great solution.
With each order you get 6 packs with 6 cones in each pack for a total of 36 cones. The total price is around $10, which is reasonable considering the unique features of this product.
Perfect for those who are novices or struggle with using regular rolling papers. A bit more expensive per paper due to the extra manufacturing costs.
Best of the Rest
Zig Zag is another well known brand in the rolling papers space.
These papers are the thinnest that we found during our testing. So if you are looking for a super thin rolling paper then be sure to give these a try.
At 32 leaves per pack, this Zig Zag product comes in 6 pack and 24 pack options.
Made in France, Zig Zag brand rolling papers are simply a quality thin rolling paper at a good price point that can fit in everyone’s budget.
If your rolling paper philosophy is “thin to win” then these Zig Zags are for you.
While hemp rolling papers are becoming more popular, there is still room for rolling papers made from other materials. In the case of Elements, their rolling papers are made from rice.
This pack of Elements comes with an incredible 1250 leaves that are 1.75″ x 3″ in size.
Testers of this product rave about the quality of the paper and the unique magnetic closure mechanism that keeps the paper closed minimizing any spillage.
Great for those who do not like hemp rolling papers. The magnetic closure mechanism is very useful and reviews of this product are overwhelmingly positive.
Buyer’s Guide for Rolling Paper
Picking the right rolling paper comes down to what you are looking for as much as it does about quality. There are so many different brands out there all with their own pros and cons. One of the biggest decisions to make when selecting a rolling paper is your preferred rolling paper material.
There are three main rolling paper materials used today. Here is a breakdown of each:
- Hemp- Hemp is one the newer and increasingly popular materials used for rolling papers. With a more environmentally friendly process, and the untouched nature of hemp papers it is easy to see why these are becoming a regular staple for many smokers. The RAW hemp rolling papers are organic and unbleached meaning you don’t get any nasty chemicals in your joint or cigarette. Hemp is a bit thicker than rice and wood, but has a pleasant and smooth burn rate.
- Wood Pulp- Wood pulp is the original rolling paper material and still the most common. Usually these rolling papers are bleached to change their color to a pure white. However, you can also find wood pulp rolling papers that are unbleached. These rolling papers tend to burn faster than other materials.
- Rice- The least popular out of the three main rolling paper materials, rice rolling papers have unique characteristics that may be just what you want depending on your needs. Rice rolling papers often do use additives, but they burn slower than the other materials which makes your herb last longer and enhances the overall experience.
In the past you only had one flavor to choose from when it came to rolling papers and that was… paper. Now you can choose to have a specific flavored rolling paper to take your smoking experience to the next level. Whether of not you prefer flavored or non-flavored rolling papers will depend on a couple factors.
- Non-Flavored- These are best for the traditionalists out there who want to taste their bud more than the paper it is rolled in. Also, for the health conscious smoker these can be easily found in organic versions without any artificial materials.
- Flavored- These are for the more adventurous types who want to enhance the smoking experience. On the flip side, these are likely to have artificial flavoring so you’ll need to weigh this out when deciding to buy flavored rolling papers.
Most rolling papers today come a few common sizes. Here are some of the notable sizes for rolling papers:
- Single- between 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 inches wide
- 1 1/4- between 1 3/4 and 2 1/2 inches wide
- 1 1/2- between 2 and 3 inches wide
- Double- between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 inches wide
- King- between 1 1/2 to 2 1/4 inches wide
Depending on how big of stogy you want to roll there are size options out there for you.
Rolling papers and rolling paper brands have come a long way over the last several years. This has led to an increase in the variety of sizes, flavors, and materials that are available for purchase. While this is great for smokers, it can also become confusing trying to sort out what you want in your smoking experience.
At the end of the day, we recommend the RAW Hemp Rolling Papers because they are free from any harmful chemicals and use organic ingredients. For the vast majority of smokers you cannot go wrong with this choice. If you prefer to have more flavor then try Juicy Jay’s, as they are the best flavored rolling papers we tested.